Paul was a great encourager. As we read through his letters, we find many expressions of love and concern.
“I thank my God for you…your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world” (Rom. 1:8).
“I rejoice that I have confidence in you in everything” (2 Cor. 7:16).
Paul also told people often that he was praying for them specifically by name.
“Always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy” (Phil. 1:4).
Those statements really lift the spirit! The weather outside is turning cold…what better time to make a concerted effort to send more heart-warming letters? To create a note that’s just right, we can remember the six S’s:
- Keep it SIMPLE. We’ll be more likely to write more often. It doesn’t have to be fancy or elaborate.
- Keep it SHORT. It only takes a few minutes. We can pack a lot of punch into just a few words. A short letter can be easily read again and again by the happy recipient.
- Make it SINCERE. If we write as soon as we feel the emotion (gratitude, concern, etc.), the heartfelt words will flow and come across.
- Use a STAMP. I love the old-fashioned route! What’s more exciting than receiving a letter in your mailbox? Paper letters are lasting and special. They give the recipient something to touch (as opposed to emails and texts), involving more of the senses.
- Add a SURPRISE. A touch of fun or whimsy is memorable. Unexpected surprises bright anyone’s day! Slip in a sticker, piece of gum, pictures, handmade bookmark, teabag, drawing…any small item that will bring a smile of pleasure.
- Add a SCRIPTURE. Even if I can’t think of anything eloquent to write, I know God’s Word is beautiful, enduring, powerful, and meaningful. Some great options to include in a letter of encouragement:
1 Pet. 5:7
2 Tim. 1:7
For a lovely and well-written study on “how to get life-changing results from writing personal notes,” check out Special Delivery by Jane McWhorter. (I do not in any way benefit from sharing this link. I just think it’s a great book!)
Happy letter writing!
Prayer for Today: Thank you, Lord, for the encouragement found in Your Word. Help us to share that same love with others!
*This post can also be found at A Wise Woman Builds Her Home.