Revive Me–A Year of Growing Stronger in the Lord, Week One
Rest Your Faith on the Power of God
What is the foundation of your faith? As you begin a brand new year of living for Christ, this basic question is crucial. Listen to Paul’s message to Christians:
And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with the superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God (1 Cor. 2:1-5).
The word “rest” here means “exist; be located in.” Paul warns Christians not to build their faith on the wisdom of men (including himself), but on the message of Christ. The wisdom of men may be persuasive, but it is powerless. If your faith feels a little weak or uncertain, perhaps you’ve neglected to spend enough time tapping into the right Source. Here are some questions to consider:
- Do you spend more time reading the good writings of men/ women than you do the Bible?
- Are your convictions based on what you’ve always been taught or from your own diligent study of the Word?
- When you listen to or read the messages of preachers, do you “search the Scriptures daily to see whether those things are so” (Acts 17:11)?
This may be the year your faith is tested like never before. Make sure you are building YOUR faith on the power of God.
Some suggestions for this week:
- Read 1 Cor. 1-3.
- In that text, note the contrast between the wisdom of men and the word of God. If you like to mark in your Bible, underline the words that describe the wisdom of men and circle the words that describe the word of God.
- Listen to sermons and read articles with discernment. Follow up by looking up the Scripture references that are used to make sure they aren’t taken out of context.
- Pray each day for desire to grow your faith in the Word.
- Consider memorizing Heb. 4:12.
Pray it. Memorize it. Live it.