Revive Me–A Year of Growing Stronger in the Lord, Week Two
Open Your Heart Again
It may be that your heart is already wide open. You express your love for others daily and look for ways to prove that love with action. You keep your eyes open for those who are needy or who slip through the cracks. You are quick to reach out to those who are hurting.
Or maybe you’ve been so overwhelmed with everything going on in your life that the idea of caring for one more person exhausts you. You’ve been stressed and worried for so long that you find yourself unable to feel. You’re starting to resent being asked to help someone else.
“Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others” (Phil. 2:4). Loving God involves investing in His people. And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also (1 John 4:21).
It is all too easy to get caught up in our own interests. When that happens, a heart check is in order. Some questions to consider:
- Has your heart become numb?
- In an effort of self-preservation, have you withdrawn from others or limited your love to mainly those who are in your family?
- Have you become indifferent to the prayer requests in the announcements?
- Does it feel like it takes too much effort to look others in the eye and engage in meaningful conversations?
- Do you find yourself coming up with more and more reasons to leave right after worship?
Surely Satan is thrilled when we resist going to effort of loving others. We serve a God of love (1 John 4:8). The church is supposed to be made up of loving people (Rom. 12:10-13). And the world is to recognize us by our love for one another (John 13:35). Someone said, “Interaction is really where true love is truly expressed.” Let’s go far in reaching others with God’s love this year.
Suggestions for this week:
- Have a heart study. Focus on verses that have to do with the heart and what God wants from it.
- Jot down names of those who are struggling or hurting. In addition to praying for them, reach out to them in some tangible way (hug, conversation, card).
- Encourage every member of your family (young and old) to make an effort to build up others each time you meet (Heb. 10:25).
- When you run errands, be intentional about really “seeing” the people around you. How can you open your heart to them?
- Consider memorizing 1 John 3:18
Pray it. Memorize it. Live it.
6 thoughts on “Revive Me, Week Two”
Great reminder! Thank you
You’re welcome! Thank you for reading, Vicki!
This so wonderful Kathy! I feel like I have been disconnected! I have been praying for opportunities to glorify God! You are right on time with this message! Thank you my Sister!
I’m so glad you found it helpful! I’ve been feeling some of that, too, sister. We’ll just encourage each other!
Thank you so much! I certainly needed this reminder, on this cold frosty Monday! May God Bless!~~~
Thank you, Nancy! God bless you, too!