Revive Me, Week 25–A Year of Growing Stronger in the Lord
Cherish the People God Put in Your Life
Tomorrow morning our very dear friends, Bob and Sheryl Turner, are moving to Louisiana (pause for weep-fest here). We’ve been working with them and enjoying their friendship for the past eight years. As soon as I found out Sheryl was moving, I realized how much she has impacted my life. I have learned so much from her:
- How to be hospitable
- How to lovingly and graciously take care of an aging parent
- How to serve
- How to work hard
- How to give
- How to be compassionate
- How to see the needs of others
- How to do crafts without breaking out in hives
I began trying to cram in as much as possible…lunch together, meaningful conversations, questions, expressions of appreciation. Now we’re at the end. I keep thinking of all the things I meant to do and wonder if I’ve said enough about how much I love and appreciate this precious friend.
Why do we wait until it’s time to say goodbye to express love and appreciation? God has put special individuals in our lives so we can learn from them and be encouraged. I want to be more invested in the people around me–my family, my Christian brothers and sisters, my neighbors. Regret comes from neglecting golden opportunities to show love, to live in the moment, and to simply enjoy the unique traits and gifts of the people around us.
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.
Look around at the people God has put in your life. Are you making time with them a priority? Are you learning from them? Are you encouraging them? Are you serving together with them?
I thank God for Sheryl Turner. I will continue to follow (stalk) her as she and Bob begin the next chapter of their life. And I know I will continue learning from her. May I find someone to encourage as she has encouraged me. May I daily make the most of time with special people God has put in my life.
Suggestions for the week:
- Think about some individuals you’re thankful for but haven’t expressed that thanks. Tell them to their face how much you love and appreciate them.
- Pick someone to teach this week. Do you have a skill you can share with a daughter-in-law, a new member, a neighbor?
- Pick someone to serve this week. Can you think of anyone who could use a cheery visit? Can you offer to help someone paint their house or work in their yard?
- Cherish the relationships in your life, even the ones that cause a certain amount of stress. Growth, patience, and compassion can come from appreciating the time and work it takes to build bonds.
Read it. Memorize it. Live it.