Revive Me, Week 10– A Year of Growing Stronger in the Lord
Long for Heaven
“Are we all just going to stand around in white robes and sing every day forever and ever?” This young person’s view of Heaven didn’t appeal to him very much. It certainly didn’t seem like enough of a reward to make him anticipate it.
My reasons for appreciating the hope of Heaven have changed through the years. As a child, I was scared of going to Hell so Heaven was the safer option. As I enjoyed the bliss of marriage and motherhood, the idea that Heaven would be even better made me wonder how that could be true. It must be really grand indeed! Then as I began to lose grandparents and other loved ones, Heaven became the location of a precious reunion. And now, now that I’ve lived long enough experience some things, I am strongly drawn to the promise of no fear or suffering. I’m intrigued by the idea of going without…without darkness, discomfort, disappointment, or death (Rev. 7:15-17; 21:4).
God wants us to long for Heaven. Our reasons may change through the years, but God in His goodness has given us something to anticipate. This gift should motivate us. Consider what awaits the faithful:
- A home being prepared by the One who loved us enough to die for us (John 14:2-4)
- New everything (Rev. 21:1)
- God’s presence and His tender care (Rev. 21:3-5)
- Nothing evil or false (Rev. 21:27)
- Eternal life (Matt. 25:46)
- A city designed and built by God (Heb. 11:10)
- A changed body (1 Cor. 15:51,52)
- An unending and perfect inheritance (1 Pet. 1:4)
- Paradise (Rev. 2:7)
Therefore, do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised.
Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven…
Suggestions for the week:
- Start each day singing about Heaven: “Paradise Valley,” “How Beautiful Heaven Must Be,” “Heaven Will Surely Be Worth It All,” “Just Over in the Glory Land,” “I’ll Fly Away,” “Sweet By & By,” “Beulah Land,” “When We All Get to Heaven,” and plenty more.
- End each day with a devotional about Heaven. Read Scriptures about it, highlight them in yellow, pray about it, and get your children excited about it. Your week will certainly be great when you begin and end each day with Heavenly thoughts!
- Be intentionally Heaven-minded in your speech, your attitude, and your actions (Col. 3:1,2).
- Learn to make Heaven a natural part of your conversation with others. When you see something lovely in nature–“As beautiful as that is, just imagine how grand Heaven must be!” When something sad, unfair, or difficult happens–“That’s why we long for Heaven.” To your wayward loved ones–“I want you to be in Heaven with me.” And to your husband, your children, your church family– “I can’t wait to spend eternity with you in Heaven!”
4 thoughts on “Revive Me, Week 10– “Long for Heaven””
A good reminder of what’s ahead of us! Thank you.
You’re welcome, Terri! Thank you for reading!
LikeLiked by 1 person
So inspiring Kathy… Thank you. The difficulties of this life, though they’ve been comparatively few, cause me to long greatly for release, for that promised land. NOTHING IN THIS LIFE CAUSES ME TO WANT TO STAY HERE… Not for long, anyway. Thank God for the hope and reality of heaven!!! I’m on my way!
You are so right, Mrs. Janice! “The sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us” (Rom. 8:18). Thank you for reading and for sharing your beautiful comment!