Revive Me, Week 52–A Year of Growing Stronger in the Lord
As we close this year-long study of ways to strengthen our relationship with our Savior, it seems appropriate to share the Hebrews writer’s plea.
“But Christ was faithful as a Son over His house—whose house we are, if we hold fast our confidence and the boast of our hope firm until the end” (3:6).
“Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful” (10:23).
These were written to Christians who were facing persecution and giving in to discouragement. “Hold fast” comes from one Greek word which means “holding one’s course toward; bearing down for.” It’s the same word used in Acts 27 when Paul and all the sailors had been tossed around in a storm at sea for two weeks. They finally caught sight of dry land and verse 40 reads “they made toward shore.” How determined were they to make it? They had set their course and they were going to hold fast.
Will you determine to hold fast? Will you help me hold fast?
Life is uncertain. I know of three individuals who lost their lives unexpectedly this past holiday weekend. I pray their loved ones will hold fast through the grief.
Life can be cruel. We all know dear ones who can’t seem to get a break. They barely make it through one difficulty when another comes along to weigh them down. I pray they will hold fast through the hardships.
Life can be dangerous. There are thrills all around and sometimes we just want a taste. It can be so easy to give in. I pray we will all hold fast through the temptations.
The God we serve is greater than any uncertainty, cruelty, or danger. The God who loves us has already made it possible for us to make it Home.
- “In this world you have trouble, but take courage. I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).
- “Greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world” (1 John 4:4).
- “In all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us” (Rom. 8:37).
- “But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Cor. 15:57).
Determine now that, come what may, you will not give up or give in. “Stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong” (1 Cor. 16:13). That is my fervent prayer for you.
Suggestions for the Week:
- Sit down with your family and discuss scenarios (potential hardships, persecutions, etc.). Promise to God and to each other that you will “hold fast” no matter what so you will all be together in Heaven.
- Meditate on passages about faithfulness through trials.
- Pray for courage and trust.
- Memorize 1 Cor. 15:1,2.
Read it. Memorize it. Live it.