Revive Me, Week 46–A Year of Growing Stronger in the Lord
Have you picked up any anxious vibes lately? We went to lunch with some friends a couple of days ago and as soon as the waitress greeted us she launched into her fears about our nation. I’ve heard other conversations swirling around me involving words like unsafe, need protection, and division. The fear is palpable.
Fear, doubt, insecurity, anxiety, mistrust, timidity, alarm, dread…surely these are the devil’s tools. How will we react to them? Will we freeze up or faith up? Will we cry out or carry on? Will we shudder or shoulder? God’s people are armed with His strength. That should make us view things differently:
- “For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith” (1 John 5:4).
- “In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).
- “Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might” (Eph. 6:10).
- “Salvation belongs to the Lord. Your blessing be upon Your people!” (Psa. 3:8).
- “Stand firm in the Lord, my beloved” (Phil. 4:1).
- “The horse is prepared for the day of battle, but victory belongs to the Lord” (Prov. 21:31).
- “But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Cor. 15:57).
Courage! Inspiration! Power! Victory! These belong to us because we belong to God. Oh, how the world needs to see that in us. We are not of this world (Col. 3:1,2). Our hope rests in Christ Jesus (1 Pet. 1:3). Our peace cannot be taken away (John 14:27). So let us smile more, teach more, love more, and shine more. We can do it (Phil. 4:13)!
What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Just as it is written,“For Your sake we are being put to death all day long; We were considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Suggestions for the Week:
- Choose a verse about power or victory to memorize.
- Have a song in your heart (like “Victory in Jesus” or “Faith is the Victory”).
- Don’t be driven by fear. Pray for confidence in Christ to saturate your thinking. This should affect your choices, temptations, speech, demeanor, and relationships.
Read it. Memorize it. Live it.