Revive Me, Week 43–A Year of Growing Stronger in the Lord
Be On The Alert
We can’t finish a series on growing stronger in the Lord without focusing on the one who wants to pull us away from the Lord. Recently a Christian gentleman came back to God after years of worldly living. In genuine humility, he shared an interesting perspective. He said, “I try to be very aware of the devil’s attempts to pull me back. For instance, when a job advancement opportunity comes along, instead of assuming that God must be blessing me, now I consider it carefully. Could it be Satan at work? Would the new job and responsibilities take up more of my time, keeping me from making visits and serving God?” This tender-hearted brother wants to make sure he stays strong in the fold. He has been the prodigal and never wants to go back.
“Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.”
(1 Peter 5:8)
“Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.”
(1 Cor. 16:13)
“Be on the alert” means to be watchful and stay awake. Keep your eyes open. The Bible goes on to show us why that’s necessary:
- Satan wants to enter the heart of the individual- John 13:2; Acts 5:3
- He tries to take advantage of us- 2 Cor. 2:11
- He tempts married couples- 1 Cor. 7:5
- He tries to hinder the work of the saints- 1 Thess. 2:18
- He’s the tempter who deceives the whole world- Matt. 4:3; Rev. 12:9
Paul said he wasn’t “ignorant of his schemes” (2 Cor. 2:11) and we shouldn’t be, either.
Suggestions for the week:
- The world portrays the devil as a cartoonish joke. Spend time looking up verses that show Satan’s activities. Be re-convinced that our adversary is no laughing matter.
- Look up and write down all the names the Bible uses for the devil.
- What does Eph. 6:10-20 teach you about our enemy? How can we protect yourself against him?