Revive Me, Week 23– A Year of Growing Stronger in the Lord
It’s Monday and perhaps your to-do list is a long one. Or you’re feeling a little overwhelmed or overburdened. Perhaps you picked up a few extra cares recently. Or maybe you just don’t feel that great. Sometimes life lacks luster. If you didn’t greet this new day feely sunny and inspired, remember this one truth: Our God is an awesome God.
“Great is our Lord and abundant in strength; His understanding is infinite.”
This one verse alone invigorates me. When I feel inadequate, I need to remember that our God is great. When I feel drained, I must remember to lean on God’s abundant strength. Basically, I need to stop focusing on myself and start focusing on my God. Then I will be amazed!
I am amazed when I look to God because:
- He has done wonderful things- Psalm 98:1
- He alone works wonders- Psalm 72:18
- His doings are marvelous- Psalm 118:23
- His plans are carried out with perfect faithfulness- Isaiah 25:1
I see God’s wonderful, marvelous things in creation, in His providence, and in His love and grace. When I remember to look for these things, I am amazed.
When men looked to the Son of God, they were amazed. He amazed a governor (Matt. 27:14), crowds (Matt. 7:28,29), the Pharisees (Matt. 22:22), the disciples (Mark 10:24), and many others. They heard what Jesus said and saw what He did. I need to remember to stay in the Word to be amazed again by what my Lord said and did.
“On the glorious splendor of Your majesty and on Your wonderful works, I will meditate.”
You can be amazed today. You woke up. Your great God loves you. You have purpose. You can look for opportunities to glorify God. You are surrounded by people who need to know God so they, too, can be amazed.
Suggestions for the week:
- Look up the Scriptures listed above about people being amazed by Jesus. Note what specific thing He said or did that had them in awe. Is it something you can be in awe of now?
- Be aware of God’s greatness. Look around you. What do you see? Nature? Family? A home to take care of? Neighbors? Your Bible?
- Meditate this week on verses that have to do with the marvelous things of God.
- Sing about it. “I Stand Amazed,” “How Great Thou Art,” “Our God is an Awesome God,” and “We Bow Down” are some good ones.
Read it. Memorize it. Live it.